Happy holidays! Can you believe the 2017 holiday marketing season has already commenced?
Isn’t it April?!
As we approach mid-November, we begin to see a huge influx in holiday events. These events range from small private gatherings, to huge week-long sales—like Black Friday! Depending on your business, you may want to consider doing something to attract new customers, while also showing your genuine appreciation for your current ones.
Here are 4 ways to enhance your holiday marketing ideas:
Count it Down
People love a good countdown, and a ‘Countdown ‘til December’ would be a great idea to start the holiday sales tally.
Offer professional and beautiful pics on new items or holiday-dressed items or sales items on Instagram or Facebook (or both!) every day from Nov. 20-30. These dates coincide with Black Friday, which always generates a TON of sales.
By offering something for your customers during this time, you’ll cash in on the peeps looking for deals and pretty things to buy as Christmas gifts.
Give Your Loyals Some Love
Exclusivity gets people excited, so get exclusive! Take your mailing list, and create a special invite for your regulars to attend a semi-private two hours or so in your shop. Offer tea (or even wine, if it’s in the budget and you can get a liquor license), and showcase your newest holiday products for them.
If you can do this as a ‘Preview Party’ for new merchandise, your regs will leave feeling special, and hopefully will have spent a little dough.
Pop it Up
AKA: collaborate with your community. A traditional pop-up shop would take place in an empty retail space that you occupy for a matter of weeks. But what about having a like-minded retail space host you, instead?
This is a smaller, simpler version of what many retail businesses typically do, but it means little to no overhead, and can be somewhat impulsive. Here’s how to execute:
- Find a like-minded business that compliments yours, but sells different products. Make sure this business is BUSY during the holidays and active on social media.
- Negotiate what kind of space you’ll get, how many square feet, and for how long (typically a day to a week). Also consider what kind of incentive you’re providing your host with for, well, hosting you! Will it be a percentage of sales, or will you bring this other business more sales for simply being there? Be realistic.
- Pick a date for the pop-up shop that is at least two weeks away, but preferably 3-4 weeks down the road.
- Collaborate with said host to create a fun, impulsive, exciting social media strategy that includes a countdown to the event–and BOTH be active on social about it. Sharing platforms is what makes these collabs work well!
- On the day of the holiday marketing event, be loud about it. Have balloons outside the store front. Live tweet all day. Play loud music. Serve holiday popcorn. Whatever you need to do to get people excited, do it.
Host a Friendly Fire Sale
(Promoted exclusively on social media, of course.) Begin with letting your customers know that something big is coming, and that they should pay attention to your biz’s socials for the next few days. Then, maybe do a “12 days of Christmas” thing, with every day offering a different type of sale on a different item.
The key to this is to make the sales GOOD.
For example, 2-for-1 sales; 50% off sales, buy 2 get 1 free sales. And offer these sales on specific merchandise, not everything. So if you’re selling kind beauty products, you can offer 50% of bar soap on one day, then buy 2 get 1 mascara free another day.
That kind of thing.
Promote this on social, on your biggest platform (usually Instagram or Facebook for most), and make the associated creative beautiful and visually appealing. You can make it even better by offering a basket of free goods to whoever shares your posts the most during the 12 days.
Hopefully some of these ideas will get you excited, and you’ll still have time to organize and execute before Christmas! Fun fact: according to Real Simple, some of the biggest sales days of the year is December 21-24.
You have time!
Get on it, and good luck. If you need help promoting your business this holiday season, let us know and we can help; Fresh + Fit creates custom holiday campaigns and social media strategies that will knock your socks off and whip merch out your doors in a flash—ask us how.